Monday, March 24, 2014

A Train Trip and Homework


We all ended up with gastro.  Just when my dad was getting better and able to get out of bed my mom was bed ridden. Then I got it the next day, mine was more like a nauseous hangover so I wasn’t as bad; but we did however lose a full week of our trip.

We had one we left together before my parents and I parted ways so this week has been super busy.

My dad booked train tickets and off we went on a six hour train ride to Milan.   We literally had 24 hours to enjoy Milan before we has to hope onto a train to our next destination. 

When we arrived in Milan I was not impressed. “Great,” I thought, “it’s just another city. It’s nothing spectacular.”  However we were there for my dad, he really wanted to go for the architecture so Milan was for him.  Boy, was I taken by surprise!!! 

Milan is incredible!!! The buildings themselves are a sight to see.  They are so ornate with big statues of muscled men that seem to be holding up the window ledges above them on their shoulders. There are big and small carvings over windows, doors and archways. All buildings (including apartment buildings) seemed to have an open gallery with a garden.  Everywhere we turned and looked there was something to see.

We went and saw the original painting of The Last Supper by Leonardo Da Vinci…pretty cool!  Then we walked in (what we think) was once the moat around Sforesco Castle.  I can’t give you much information here as the castle was closed so we didn’t get to tour it and get the history but I can tell you it is massive!!!

From there we kept walking and ended up in the shopping district!!! Wow!!! I am a budget girl but wow I wanted to spend money here, I didn’t care on what but I just wanted to spend it.  I almost walked away with brand new Cavalli sunnies that were on sale but I break my sunnies all the time and just couldn’t wrap my brain around spending the money on them, my dad even offered to buy them for me but I couldn’t.  My dad however had no problem welcoming his shopping bug with open arms and spending heaps of money on hats and scarves!!! Both my mom and I walked out with empty hands but not my dad oh no he was having a blast buying hats for every occasion!

Now I knew nothing about Milan before we went so what our saw next just made us speechless…all my dad could say was “FUCK”. The church, San Bernardino alle Ossa, is something words cannot describe.  Its huge, beautiful and like nothing else I have ever seen before.  It is made from marble with the ornateness that is Milan but 100 times more.  There are statues and sculptures on and in the walls, the roof looks like a white dripped sandcastle yet so delicate almost like a doily; and right at the top of each point is a statue of a pope or saint. Every single one being a different person…it took our breath away.   We went in, but it doesn’t compare to the outside.

Next we went to Il Duomo, the famous domed plaza which is incredible. Its covered yet outside, its got stores and cafes down each walkway.  Paintings underneath the domed ceiling along with huge sculptures on each corner of the buildings in the center and ornate designs running along the buildings.

We went to this awesome lounge bar on the second floor that had a patio overlooking the piazza and San Bernardino.  €33 for 3 drinks lol, but my dad didn’t seem to mind, he was buzzing with the ci e from the city. 

Milan has a vibe, it’s like it is just buzzing with excitement, even later on when it quits down it still has an excitement about it that seemed to be filling us with immense happiness.

By the time we got back to our hotel we had been trekking the city for 6 hours (by foot) and wanted to be up early enough to do the roof top walk at San Bernadino before catching the train the next morning.  The roof top walk was amazing. Just my dad and I went my mom was really tired.

It was supposed to open at 9am but Italian but Italian time works different than normal time so they were still setting up when we got there.  We paid more money so we could take the elevator up which was a good choice, there is no way my vertigo would’ve aloud me to make it all the way to the top as I felt the height as soon as we got off onto the roof, but my light headedness and stumbling feet were worth the view up there.

The ornateness of the church from up there was mind blowing.  There were sculptures around the towers and between those statues were statues inside openings.  Over every archway was a satue or carving but every single one was different.  I really don’t know how to explain it as I am horrible with descriptions…but wow…seriously…wow, wow, wow! We even went up to the very top which included me walking up a set of stairs and my vertigo wanting to come out even more and torture me…but like I said…so worth it.

We were lucky we made it to our train on time as the local trains and subways were on strike so there was heaps of traffic, and the next day the cabs were going on strike so luck was on our side.  The 3 our train ride seemed longer than our 6 our train ride to Milan but that’s because this train there was mo place to buy a snack and second class meant a stuffy cabin with six people.

Our next stop for 3 days was in a little fishing village on the west coast called Monterosso al Mare in Cinque Terre.  Cinque Terre are five fishing villages that can only be accessed by train or a walking trail.  The town seemed so quaint after being in ornate Milan but it was so pretty.  All the buildings are different colours and they line the little streets that have cafes,restaurants and shops.  Every little alley way leads to a hidden restaurant or shop. 

It was a mission for us to get there.  When we got off the train we ended up pretty much right on the beach and an unpaved road…which mean…the tunnel to get to the part of town we needed to get to could on be accessed by foot and going up around and down.  I don’t think the wheels on my dad’s suitcase were too happy has he banged it around but they survived and so did we celebrating with a nice drink after we checked in.

Dinner was so yummy… I had pasta baked in a red wine sauce…yum yum.  I loved it so much I told the server (in my broken Italian) that I wanted the recipe.  Well…after we were done our delicious meals she came over and said the chef was ready for me in the kitchen!!! Can you believe that!  I was so not expecting that to happen.  I go onto the kitchen with a chef who doesn’t speak English and I had to get the recipe in Italian …what I didn’t understand I asked my dad but I understood most of it :). Then my mom and I went to the local bar where we met the owner and chatted with him all night.

The next day we planned to take the hiking trail over to Vernazza (the next town).  After almost an hour my mum said she couldn’t any further.  It was pretty intense…see it tricks you.  It starts with a nice path that goes around the rocks over the water – of course teasing my vertigo.  Then you get into the bills where you just climb up and up me getting slower and slower as my vertigo gets worse and worse and my mums arthritis killing her knees…plus it was a hot day.  The sun was shining and people were at the beach…it was a beautiful day.  We turned around and went back and then a couple hours later we took the train to the next town which only took 5 minutes…way easier.

Vernazza is smaller than Monterosso.  It has one main street that goes down to the water, though there is no beach.  It is not like Monterosso where every little street you turn down has a hidden treasure, in fact they were small and claustrophobic like and you didn’t even feel like you were outside and they were dark with the buildings rising 4-5 stories high…and the stairs…OMG…we had to climb so many. We walked all the way to the top where the castle is where we then climbed the tower steps and got a 360° view of the town.  I’m telling you, Italy likes to play with my vertigo, the climb up and down the tower was not fun; or jp and down the town steps…my poor head lol.

The next day was our last day.  We sat on the patio and had drinks and then went to CIAK and had the freshest tastiest mussels in the world…enjoying the sunshine and a few bottles of wine out in the courtyard where the restaurant’s patio is.  Had some more drinks and then went to the bar. Man, did I regret all those drinks the next day.

Our train ride was only 3 hours but it was an open ticket and basically a train people take to work so we weren’t overly comfortable and we had to transfer…and I had a horrible case of wine flu…ughh I felt horrible…damn wine lol.

Our last stop together was Florence.  We were pretty stoked as we had heard so many great things about it but it just doesn’t seem to have the same buzz as Milan.  However I was pretty stressed out as I am living here for the next month.

Remember the TEFL course I was supposed to take in Thailand in January that got cancelled and I had to stay in BC…well I am taking it in Florence (and yes this one is legitimate).  I had my first class today.  Honestly, it is going to be such an intense course and I got extremely overwhelmed on class today…so much so I got some anxiety.  My famous words came to my head “ what the fuck did I get myself into!”. But, this is something I have wanted to do for the past couple of years and I knew it was gonna be tough, I just hope I can do it.  Plus I am overwhelmed with being here on my own.  I mean, I know I have traveled the world on my own but think about it… in Cali I met Ryan, in Aus I met Dan and in BC I had Isam.  This is the first time in a long time I have been on my own…plus, my flat mate backed out so I have the place to myself.  “You are lucky to be on hour own.” My landlady said but to be honest I wanted to run into my mums arms and go home with her…I know, I know, I’m a huge suck.

So now here I am on my own little apartment typing away to you guys with Italian anime on tv…man do I miss English tv.  I must go though, I need to cook up some sustenance so I can study and do homework.

Oh great… HOMEWORK!

                                                                                      -My Beautiful Life -

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment